Wednesday, June 21, 2017

How to use TLG with LOEB to search the Greek classics

Here is a quick tutorial on how to use the powerful search engine of Thesaurus Linguae Graecae (TLG) to search the digital LOEB Classical Library.

In this tutorial, I will search the writings of Plutarch for all of occurrences of the verb ποιεω within 5 words of αυτος in the neuter accusative form. (I am looking for language similar to Paul's command to masters in Eph 6:9.)

The video is best viewed in "full screen" mode.

(Feel free to contact me with questions if you get stuck.)


See also: How to quickly find a passage in the LOEB Classical Library

2 comments:

mvh said...

Thanks Murray. Very helpful. I'm sort of embarrassed that this clever shortcut never occurred to me before. It would have saved me a lot of time. Also, I read your article on Col 4:1. Very good. I'm intrigued. I'll have to sit with it a while. On Pliny's comments in Ep. 2.6, it is worth remembering that he goes on to note that, while all eat the same fare when he dines with his freedmen, it isn't the same quality as he normally eats himself.
-Moyer

Unknown said...

Hi Dr. Hubbard,
I'm glad you found this helpful! Thanks for reading my paper. If any further thoughts/critiques come to mind, I'd love to hear them.
Blessings,
Murray